With New Year’s freshly behind us, the worst part of January comes with it. The threat of this day loomed over us each holiday meal, each family dinner, each cocktail party. Now, the full force of diet companies’ ‘New Year New Me!’ campaigns hit us in the face like a load of bricks. It can be overwhelming, spirit-crushing, and downright obnoxious, even for those who don’t already face a disordered or unhealthy relationship with food. With all of that in mind, I have compiled a small list of reminders to lift your spirits when faced with diet talk this month.
- You do not have to “get back on track” now because you did nothing wrong over the holidays! You deserve to enjoy fun and different foods. You made memories with family and friends, not mistakes.
- These holidays only come once a year; it is a time of celebration. Your meals don’t always have to look the way they do the rest of the year. Maybe there’s something new on your plate, maybe your family is with you, maybe you eat at a different time. Let yourself enjoy the freedom and the new experiences these meals gave you.
- Trying to maintain or reach a weight that wasn’t meant for you never helps your body.
- You never need to earn your food. Food is fuel for your life. You deserve it always.
- Foods are not ‘good’ or ‘bad’. All food fuels you. Some fuel your soul over your body, and some fuel your body over your mind. But no food is ‘bad’ food.
Now, I’ll admit. I’m just saying the things that I know I need to hear this year, and the things I needed to hear even more last year. But I hope this can reach anyone struggling right now and take a little bit of weight off their shoulders.
National Eating Disorder Hotline: 1-847-831-3438